[FFmpeg-devel] AMR has a new decoder/encoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue May 12 18:14:05 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 05:47:23PM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:43:21AM +0200, Nicol? Chieffo wrote:
> >> Hello, I'm not a ffmpeg developer, but I'd like inform you (if you
> >> don't already know it) that android has an AMR decoder and encoder.
> >> It is apache licensed so I think that it could be included in ffmpeg.
> >
> > The Apache license cannot be combined with GPLv2.  This affects us in
> > some cases.
>
> dlopen()'ing them should be fine nevertheless. Correct?

Since licenses are about distribution, dlopen or not does not really
make a difference, except that the "user" can manually add the features
(so you never have to distribute the "questionable" part, e.g. AMR).
That is maybe still a bit questionable way to do it, and it still does
not allow to distribute a GPLv2 FFmpeg that can do AMR.