[FFmpeg-devel] AMR has a new decoder/encoder

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue May 12 21:35:44 CEST 2009

Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 05:47:23PM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:

>> > The Apache license cannot be combined with GPLv2.  This affects us in
>> > some cases.
>>
>> dlopen()'ing them should be fine nevertheless. Correct?
>
> Since licenses are about distribution, dlopen or not does not really
> make a difference, except that the "user" can manually add the features
> (so you never have to distribute the "questionable" part, e.g. AMR).

Yes, that is exactly the point of the excercise: not having to
redistribute the amr libraries.

> That is maybe still a bit questionable way to do it, ...

agreed. But people in charge (archive maintainers) seem to be happy with
it. At least that's my understanding.

> ... and it still does not allow to distribute a GPLv2 FFmpeg that can do
> AMR.

(puh, I had to think a bit what you actually mean with that sentence)

yes, we still are not able to directly redistribute an ffmpeg package
that can do amr out of the box. I'm considering adding a script in
/usr/share/doc/ffmpeg that downloads and installs the library for the
user. Again, this is not really redistributing amr libraries, but
documenting (in a very convenient way) how to "make it work". However,
having dlopen() support in libavcodec is a prequesite for that plan.

Btw, I'm considering adding a similar script for the ffmpeg replacement
packages for debian. ubuntu already has included them in the archive
(though not on the live-cds).

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4