[FFmpeg-devel] Internal API (was Re: pixfmt.h installed header using HAVE_BIGENDIAN?)

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Mon Jan 18 00:49:53 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 16:20 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Huh? Do we intend to allow building lavc/swscale against an installed libavutil,
> using only public API?

Tangentially related to the above discussion: is there now a clear
policy for the "internal API" features and when to change major library
version because of changes to those? It's been recommended that all
FFmpeg libraries should come from the same FFmpeg version, but in
practice that's not possible when the major version of a library changes
unless all the other libs change at the same time too. (Because it must
be possible to have both the old and the new soname installed
simultaneously for a transition period; those come from different FFmpeg
versions, and if the other FFmpeg libs don't change soname their single
instance would need to match both the old and the new version at the
same time which is of course not possible.)