[FFmpeg-devel] minor ./configure glitches on OpenBSD

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Jan 19 15:11:23 CET 2010

Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> writes:

> This is latest svn being built on OpenBSD-current.
> I can ./configure just fine with
>
> $ env CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include' LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'
>   ./configure --enable-gpl --disable-ffserver --enable-nonfree
>   --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame
>   --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora  --enable-libvorbis
>
> except that ./configure complains about
>
>   nm: unknown option -- P
>   usage: nm [-aCegnoprsuw] [file ...]
>
> and
>
>   od: unknown option -- A
>   od: od(1) has been deprecated for hexdump(1).
>   usage: od [-aBbcDdeFfHhIiLlOovXx] [-j offset] [-N length] [-t type_string]
>         [[+]offset[.][Bb]] [file ...]
>
> The OpenBSD nm(1) doesn't recognize a "-P" option, which
> I read ( http://linux.die.net/man/1/nm ) is a shorthand
> for "-f posix", as opposed to the default of "-f bsd",
> which should be used on BSD anyway.

Eh what?  The POSIX standard options should not be used on BSD????
Give me a break please.  Here's a quote from the spec:

-f
    [XSI] Produce full output. Write redundant symbols ( .text, .data,
    and .bss), normally suppressed.
-P
    Write information in a portable output format, as specified in the
    STDOUT section.

Now go and whack the BSD tool maintainers with a clue-by-four.

> Also, the OpenBSD od(1) has no "-A" option,
> and will disappear in favour of hexdump(1) anyway.

That's f*cked up.  od is a standard tool, hexdump is not.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com