[FFmpeg-devel] Regression: r20954-5 broke threads auto in libx264

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Wed Jan 20 22:27:34 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/20/2010 01:13 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>>
>> -threads 0 now no longer works to specify auto threads in libx264. ?We
>> have received a ton of complaints from users already about ffmpeg
>> performance going down massively in the past few weeks.
>>
>> This is a serious regression.
>>
>> If nobody can come up with a reasonable fix for this in the next day
>> or two, I will disconnect the threads option in libx264.c, forcing it
>> to auto in all cases.
>
> I very strongly object to using auto in all cases.

I would too.  Here's my order of preference:

1) Auto is default, user can specify if he wants something else.

2) Auto is not default, but user can specify auto (-threads auto).

3) Auto is not default, but user can specify auto (-threads 0) <--how
it was before the regression

4) Auto is default, and the user can only change it using taskset
<---how it would be if I simply removed the hook

5) Auto is impossible to enable, but user can modify threads manually
<---how it is right now

Dark Shikari