[FFmpeg-devel] Regression: r20954-5 broke threads auto in libx264

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jan 20 23:46:05 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 01:27:34PM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
> <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01/20/2010 01:13 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> >>
> >> -threads 0 now no longer works to specify auto threads in libx264. ?We
> >> have received a ton of complaints from users already about ffmpeg
> >> performance going down massively in the past few weeks.
> >>
> >> This is a serious regression.
> >>
> >> If nobody can come up with a reasonable fix for this in the next day
> >> or two, I will disconnect the threads option in libx264.c, forcing it
> >> to auto in all cases.
> >
> > I very strongly object to using auto in all cases.
>
> I would too.  Here's my order of preference:
>
> 1) Auto is default, user can specify if he wants something else.

i agree but until ffmpeg itself supports auto there can be no
default=auto
because the default should match between encoders and the default
should work.

This needs a volunteer to implement auto thread support in ffmpeg.

If you think the mosad wants you dead since a long time then you are either
wrong or dead since a long time.