[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2010 is coming

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jan 30 04:31:32 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:42:11AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > GSoc2010 was recently announced on one of the google lists. I think
> > it's time we do this right, so I'd like to start thinking about:
> > - possible projects
> > - getting students interested and get qualification tasks rolling
> > - advertising our project
> >
> > I've set up a wiki page as usual, please post ideas there:
> > http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code_2010
>
> Now, we have "Playlist/Concatenation Support" twice (and afair, Michael did not
> yet review last years patch).

i still have patches laying around i must review, yes this one as well, its a
rather non trivial thing which is why i was pushing this in front of me always
and working on other things first
well others could have reviewed it too ...

> I wanted to suggest DTS-MA - do we have the dll and does it work in a "useful"
> environment?
> Should we support muxing Blu-ray compatible ts-streams? (I just assume it does
> not work, did anybody try? Mike?)
>

> And while we are at it: Did everybody read in Dark Shikari's blog that x264
> plans to write a DVB muxer? Is it correct that there are technical reasons that
> make it unavoidable that it is written outside of libavformat structure?

of course not, its pure medical issue of the psychology part.
Something about hatered, undermining of common efforts, NIH syndrom,
ape courtship behaviour in the sense of "Look i got the bigger muxer"
That just sounds better if you stand alone with your big muxer standing
out.

FOSS is a strange place, everyone reimplements everything and fights everyone
else. Contributing, fixing and improving existing stuff is only done if
people consider a fork unlikely to be successfull, well at least thats
how it seems to me ...
In an alternative world x264 would be part of ffmpeg and all our
mpeg1/2/4/h263/h261/rv/msmpeg4
encoders would be able to use all the applicable improvments x264 contains
sure x264 would be a few month behind where it is now as more work would
have been needed for the integrating it all but i think it would be a
overall better world for the end user

we now can watch in real time the same thing repeating, x264 gets their
own muxer that is designed to never work with anything but x264 and ours
is neiher fixed, improved nor replaced by a better
Its like 2 groups building a bridge like:

Cooperation between FOSS projects:

             Land
--------------------------|    |---
          ~               |    |
Water   |      |                ~
    ~   |FFmpeg|  ~
        |      |
             Land

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato