[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New library for shared non-generic libav* utils

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Fri Jul 9 23:39:35 CEST 2010

On 07/09/2010 01:52 PM, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> [...]
>>   as is its certainly filled with more issues than if we tried to make
>>   it at least work in the common cases and documented it we can even
>>   officially say its not recommanded to be used ...
>
> Fine, I'll see what I can do there.  I guess something is better than
> nothing after all.
>
>> the gnu linker issues (you jumped at gnus defence but reading irc logs
>>   a while ago gave me the feeling you did not understand the issues there
>>   fully, so why did you attack me?
>
> I don't remember exactly what I said, but I never meant to attack you
> in person.  If I said something in anger, I apologise for that.
>
> I may not fully understand all the intricacies of the linker, but I do
> know this: it works the way the authors intend and document it to
> work.  It would be foolish of us to insist on changing
> well-established linker behaviour due to a weird corner-case where it
> would be more convenient for us if it did differently.  Even if we
> could get the linker changed, it would take many years for the change
> to trickle down to the places where it matters: distributions.  People
> building their own ffmpeg are not affected by the problem at all.
>
>> my svn repo on mphq, i remember you where against me being able to
>>   put my own little foss projects on mphq.
>
> It's not that I personally have anything against _you_ keeping your
> stuff there.  The hosting and bandwidth is sponsored by people doing a
> favour to ffmpeg and mplayer, not to random projects they don't know
> or care about.  Were every ffmpeg/mplayer developer to host his
> private projects there, the sponsors might feel their generous (yes
> really) donations were being abused.  We do not want that to happen.
>
> Now as long as it stays at just your stuff, resource usage is minimal,
> and should anyone ask, we can easily defend it.  We cannot however
> have our system turn into an FFforge for all and sundry to use and
> abuse at will.
>
>> the vote (you know if you dont want to vote you can just not vote)
>
> The thing about votes is that even those who choose not to participate
> are bound by the outcome, no matter how unjust.
>
>> libavutil now (we can add a new lib or just make libavfilter depend
>> on libavcodec)
>
> All I said was I have no objection to having some multimedia-related
> things in libavutil.  It is an opinion I have a right to express, just
> like you have a right to express yours.
>
>> the 3rd->1st person commit
>
> The style was inconsistent, and Stefano said he was too lazy to make
> it consistent.  I honestly believed I was doing a good deed.
>
>> the removial of the gnu linker bug explanation/rant
>
> Rants have no place in API documentation, especially not if they take
> the place of an actual description of what something does.  You cannot
> deny that the describes the macro more accurately after my change.
>
> Now I ask again, in which of the above instances did I offend BAPTISTE?

First there was mxfdec and prototypes:

Reimar said:
 > Could we do it with a little less flaming for now?
 > I don't like having to deal with annoyed maintainers :-).
 > If we haven't solved it "peacefully" in a few days, I welcome
 > you to lay flaming waste...
 > Thanks.

Then:

You said:
 >Too bad for you you're not allowed to remove options.

And finally:
 > Are you jealous because your name didn't show up at all?

In 10 days, it's a bit much for me.

I found the tone agressive like I said earlier, and I found that offensive.

--
Baptiste COUDURIER