[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New library for shared non-generic libav* utils

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jul 10 04:07:21 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 09:52:41PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> >> Where exactly did I offend YOU?  I could understand, though not agree,
> >> with Michael being offended by something I said in the last few days,
> >> although offence has certainly not been my intent.

> >> Please do tell me what made you turn all your hate on me.  In the last
> >> year or so, you have not missed one chance to jump into a discussion
> >> for no other apparent reason than to contradict me just for the sake
> >> of it.  Why this hostility?
> >
> > as you are asking this. i must admit that i have a similar feeling and
> > question in relation to you
> >
> > the intreadwrite stuff (why does it bother you so much if we export
> >  it through a clean and documented api, projects use it anyway and
> >  as is its certainly filled with more issues than if we tried to make
> >  it at least work in the common cases and documented it we can even
> >  officially say its not recommanded to be used ...
>
> Fine, I'll see what I can do there.  I guess something is better than
> nothing after all.

/me gives mans a virtual box of beer/cola/whatever you like

:)

> > the gnu linker issues (you jumped at gnus defence but reading irc logs
> >  a while ago gave me the feeling you did not understand the issues there
> >  fully, so why did you attack me?
>
> I don't remember exactly what I said, but I never meant to attack you
> in person.  If I said something in anger, I apologise for that.
>
> I may not fully understand all the intricacies of the linker, but I do
> know this: it works the way the authors intend and document it to
> work.

i doubt this is documented and iam unsure if it is intended like this
wasnt it drepper i would be certain that it cannot be intended

> It would be foolish of us to insist on changing
> well-established linker behaviour due to a weird corner-case where it
> would be more convenient for us if it did differently.  Even if we
> could get the linker changed, it would take many years for the change
> to trickle down to the places where it matters: distributions.  People
> building their own ffmpeg are not affected by the problem at all.

i understand it wouldnt help us. Still i think its something that should
be changed in the linker

> > my svn repo on mphq, i remember you where against me being able to
> >  put my own little foss projects on mphq.
>
> It's not that I personally have anything against _you_ keeping your
> stuff there.  The hosting and bandwidth is sponsored by people doing a
> favour to ffmpeg and mplayer, not to random projects they don't know
> or care about.  Were every ffmpeg/mplayer developer to host his
> private projects there, the sponsors might feel their generous (yes
> really) donations were being abused.  We do not want that to happen.

why did you not say this back then?

[...]
> > the removial of the gnu linker bug explanation/rant
>
> Rants have no place in API documentation, especially not if they take
> the place of an actual description of what something does.  You cannot
> deny that the describes the macro more accurately after my change.

are you ok if i try to describe the problem in the gnu linker in that
doxy? Ill try to stay neutral in tone and i dont mind the native english
people to improve the wording ...

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire