[FFmpeg-devel] Interpolation algorithms for FFmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 29 03:06:31 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:21:48PM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
> <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> * picture scaling by doing interpolation along the direction of most equal
> >> ?color or otherwise along the texture pattern
> >
> > Already done and open source, see EEDI.
> >
> >> * video frame rate changing by interpolation along motion vectors
> >
> > Already done and open source, see MVtools.
> >
> > Dark Shikari
> >

> Also I should note that on real-world video content, no spatial,
> temporal, or spatiotemporal interpolation algorithm has ever beaten
> NNEDI in any test that I've seen.

NNEDI is closed source and very slow from what i know
either way we need high quality interpolation in ffmpeg,
support for bayer downsampled aka raw color ccd images aka demosaicing
needs it. If thats a matter of copy and pasting existing code all the
better but i doubt this slightly. last time i checked the foss algorithms
in dcraw where just not performing very well, but this was years ago
also whatever we would use has to deal with aliasing (happens on some
real life images) and noise (happens when its dark and you arent hollywood
in a studio preteding its dark while its not). dcraw performed terrible
on noisy images when i last tried, the in camera jpg output beat it
but as said its all years ago since i looked into this ...

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates