[FFmpeg-devel] ffprobe packets and frames parsing

Robert Krüger krueger
Wed Mar 10 15:30:35 CET 2010

Hi,

On 10.03.2010, at 02:04, Stefano Sabatini wrote:

> On date Tuesday 2010-03-09 13:33:14 +0100, Robert Kr?ger encoded:
>>
>> Stefano,
>>
>> I might have missed the explanation for this in one of your recent
>> postings but I just noticed that ffprobe integrated with ffmpeg
>> currently doesn't have options to parse packets/frames (which is
>> e.g. necessary to determine if content is interlaced).
>
> Yes I choose to do that to ease/speed integration, that is I wanted to
> avoid to discuss all the SF ffprobe features, many of which need a
> complex implementation.

OK, understood

>> What are your plans regarding this? Are you going to port this code
>> into the version integrated with ffmpeg? I was going to contribute a
>> patch which implements the -vframes option but that isn't possible
>> currently.
>
> My plan is to integrate all the features currently implemented in
> SF/ffprobe, possibly better and in a cleaner way, so this will require
> some time and maybe some hacking on FFmpeg the libs.
>
> Once this will happen I'll drop the SF version.
>
> In the meaningwhile you're encouraged to add feature requests to
> roundup or to propose patches here.

But that doesn't include the features already available in the SF version, right?

My main interest at this moment is to extract metadata that requires looking at the packets/frames currently (mainly for detecting interlaced content but other use cases will probably come with time). I guess it doesn't make sense to hack a probe for that into the current code as it is really a special case of what you already have in the SF version, except that it requires a -vframes option to do this efficiently.

>> Thanks for any info and thanks for integrating with the ffmpeg distro,
>
> Regards.

Regards,

Robert