[FFmpeg-devel] Adding Mac OS X screen recording to ffmpeg

daniel dixon daniel.dixon
Fri May 7 23:32:18 CEST 2010

Hello ffmpeg-devel mailing list,

I?m looking to add Mac OS X screen recording to ffmpeg, following the path
of x11grab and gdigrab (
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2010-March/085332.html ).

I plan to do the frame grabbing by using OpenGL and by adding it to
libavdevice.

The sample code I?m looking to use is here (particularly FrameReader.m,
which I know is written in Objective-C but the OpenGL functions are what I
want):
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/samplecode/OpenGLScreenCapture/Listin
gs/FrameReader_m.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS10004445-FrameReader_m-DontLink
ElementID_8

I?ve also found this for painting the cursor:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2272316/how-to-capture-mouse-cursor-in-sc
reen-grab

Anyone have advice to offer before I start?  Should I use something besides
OpenGL? I don?t know what I would use, though.  Has this already been done
and I don?t know about it?  I?m hoping I can pretty much just port the logic
in x11grab and gdigrab.  I know X11 runs on Mac, but it?s a separate
installation entirely and doesn?t seem to be the road to go down.

-Daniel