[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC][POLICY] Immediately use the new API in ffmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Nov 21 05:31:42 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 03:26:12PM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
> <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'd like to make a request to the policy:
> >
> > Every time an API is deprecated, I'd like to add the rule that
> > developers must immediately use the new API in ffmpeg/ffplay/ffserver tools.

i agree that people should not add new code using old apis.Requiring a strict
"you must update all use of an old API" would add additional burden on the very
few that work on improving the APIs
Its a goal we should aim toward but the time and motivation each person has
available should dictate in the end how far things are converted.
Half finished code should not rot in private repos for years if it does no
harm if commited and allows others to finish it.

> Actually, I would say further that, for the cases of new API functions
> intended to replace older ones, such new functions should not even be
> made public until ffmpeg/ffplay/ffserver modifications are ready.
>
> ff* apps should be the first testbed for new APIs, not the last.

i approximately agree but i think there are 2 seperate things that is
1. an API being experimental vs final
2. all uses being converted to the new API

in case os swscale the new api is still experimental and it wasntg me pushing
it to the public and deprecating the old even if i probably approved it i
remember not feeling too well about it

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus