[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Add a demuxer directly handling rtp:// URLs by inspecting their content

Martin Storsjö martin
Sat Oct 16 11:25:14 CEST 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Martin Storsj? wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Luca Abeni wrote:
>
> > On 10/10/2010 08:23 PM, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > J-B, how does VLC deal with this? VLC accepts rtp:// URIs afaics.
>
> I'm not sure if VLC has code of its own for that, or if all of that is
> handled within Live555.
>
> > I might be wrong, but I think it only works with TS in RTP...
> > Double thinking about it, this might be a reasonable solution (see my
> > previous email).
>
> Hmm, what about all the static payload types, e.g. audio? Or is the sample
> rate freely choosable for them, even if they're using a static payload
> type?

I did some tests with VLC, and it was able to play back mulaw pcm with
only a rtp:// url. The weird thing was that VLC/Live555 seemed to guess it
as 4 kHz, not 8 kHz which would be the obvious guess.

> On the other hand, with something like this in place, it's quite easy to
> add an error message telling the user that the input is ambiguous and an
> explicit SDP description is needed, for all the cases that we don't want
> to handle this way.

Updated patch attached, with more verbose warning messages. For
mpegts/rtp, no warning is issued, for audio/video that is guessed, we give
a warning saying that we're not sure about the content and may need an
SDP. For other payloads not recognized, we say explicitly that we need an
SDP file.

// Martin