[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg meeting & Multimedia Conf

Tomas Härdin tomas.hardin
Fri Oct 29 10:06:54 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 20:26 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Dear FFmpeg developers,
>
> Some of you know me, some of you don't, so quick presentation.
> I am a VLC developer, a FFmpeg fan, and the VLC packager for Windows
> (shipping a lot of libav* binaries) and also the VideoLAN foundation pr?sident.
> Some of you have seen me at different confs.
>

> Some people around here spoke about an FFmpeg Conf, but noone took the
> bullet so far.
> I have organised, for the past 2 years, the VideoLAN Dev Days in Paris,
> and a few FFmpeg devs came.
>
> Therefore an idea I am throwing is to organise an "Open Multimedia Conf"
> (clever names allowed), in Europe.
> The idea would be to have a common track for Open Multimedia, and then
> split the different projects (ffmpeg, vlc, mplayer, x264, xine?) in their own
> room/track so they can work on things they need to.

Excellent idea. I was also sort of wondering where the idea of FFconf
went.

> The idea would be also to be able to fly everyone so that the developers
> don't spend any money on it.
>

> Where? When?
> ------------
> This is the tricky question. I believe that before Xmas is delusional.
> Fosdem is on 5/6 feb 2011.
> I believe that they are 2 simple options:
>  - couple it with Fosdem, which is very cool, but would make the event
>    not on a week-end (some peole have jobs, no?) and I don't know who
>    could organise it there.
>  - organise it in Spring at a later date (end of March? April?) in
>    Paris, France (where I could organise)

I could probably couple it with work, so either way could be fine for
me. If weekend, maybe start thursday?

How does navigating Paris without knowing any french work? I guess
follow the ones that do :)

/Tomas