[FFmpeg-devel] Please explain

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Sat Feb 5 11:41:18 CET 2011

Note, you didn't start a new thread with probably most of the people did
not read your email since it got folded in a thread about a specific
fringe codec ^^;

On 02/04/2011 11:33 PM, Frans de Boer wrote:
> Some people, like myself, have stated their surprise in the take-over or
> coup if you will. Others I have spoken, express their fear that because
> it is not clear why this has done and the flame ware between the current
> maintainers and Michael, there might be a split/fork in the near future.

Had been many in linux I guess you hadn't been affected at all.

> On the same time we see activity about improvements going on and even
> new topics arising.
> In short "what is going on"?
>
>   1. Can we still build upon ffmpeg with respect to other projects?
>      e.g. Using a period of 6-12 months between major releases in the
>      likely event that API's will change.

The people tending releases since they got enacted is still there so you
should expect the same outcome of the release process. Probably you'll
like the changes that are considered for the 0.7 release.

>   2. Can we have decent and civil reactions when we - consumers of your
>      labor - ask some questions? Even if they sound stupid in some ears?

I think you should expect that, this list doesn't have *yet* a code of
conduct but beside the recent flurry of imported trolls.
Still for questions about using ffmpeg there are two different mailing
lists, but I guess you know that already =)

>   3. If a fork will be created, how will the current maintainers react?

There are many forks already (see the download page), is more forks gets
created I'll put them in the same page.

> To bring the community to rest, bring out an official statement (also
> the web site) what the take-over means for the project and why this was
> done.

We'll probably discuss most of it at the Fosdem during the next days.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux