[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] mailing-list etiquette

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason
Mon Feb 7 23:12:57 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:44:41PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
>> Hi, we've had no rules/guidelines for the FF* mailing-lists. I suggest
>> we add this:
>>
>> * Personal insults can result in unsubscribe/moderation/ban.
>> * Disruption of service can result in unsubscribe/moderation/ban.
>>
>> I will send a patch adding this to the homepage in a few days.
>
> Iam against censorship in the current situation, we have no inpartial people
> to make the decission on what is an insult and what not. This has a very high
> potential of abuse under the current administration.
>
> But if this is implemented against my objection then i have the following
> comments:
> * People are warned first and only repeat offenders are unsubscribed and only
> ?if this doesnt help moderation is considered.
> * Developers are excluded from being unsubscribed/..., we need them to move forward
> ?even if they are occasionally rude in a exceptional situation and the current
> ?is exceptional.
> * All unsubscribes, moderation and bans are publically announced and publically
> ?justified with public statement of who and why is requesting it.
> * The person being unsubscribed/... is given a chance to defend himself

I think the threshold for unsubscribing a non-developer should be much
lower than the threshold for unsubscribing a developer, *particularly*
on this list (since it is obviously a development mailing list).  Note
developer here doesn't just include people with svn/git access -- if
you contribute, you should have dramatically more leeway in the
general case.

Jason