[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New FFmpeg maintainership

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason
Wed Jan 19 21:24:36 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Vitor Sessak <vitor1001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry about commenting so late on the subject, I was busy in the last
> days...
>
> On 01/18/2011 07:53 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>>
>> We, the undersigned, announce that as of today FFmpeg maintainership
>> has been assumed by a new team. ?Our aim is to facilitate the
>> development of exciting new features in a timely manner while keeping
>> high quality standards and above all to provide a fair, productive
>> environment for developers and contributors.
>
> While I agree that waiting for finally reaching a consensus in the ML would
> take forever, just notifying other developers after it is done is simply
> rude IMHO. BTW, I saw you feel no need to apologize for that in your
> "announcement"...
>
>> Development will be structured similarly to the approach taken by the
>> Linux kernel:
>>
>> ? - Write access to the master repository is limited to the
>> ? ? maintainer team.
>>
>> ? - Contributions shall be sent as patches to the ffmpeg-devel mailing
>> list.
>>
>> ? - All changes shall be reviewed and approved by at least one other
>> ? ? developer competent in the affected area. ?This rule applies
>> ? ? equally to the maintainer team.
>>
>> ? - Developers are encouraged to publish private repositories.
>>
>> The maintainer team initially comprises the following people:
>>
>> ? Alex Converse
>> ? Diego Biurrun
>> ? Janne Grunau
>> ? Jason Garrett-Glaser
>> ? Luca Barbato
>> ? Mans Rullgard
>> ? Ronald Bultje
>
> I think that having a small list of people that have commit rights might
> help everybody to reduce the bikesheding _if_ in that list there are only
> people that are widely considered to be cool-headed and compromising. I have
> no idea of how that list of names was chosen, but it looks like this was not
> the first criteria.

The list, AFAIK, was chosen based on people who were experienced
enough and active enough (and willing) to be patchmonkeys for various
parts of ffmpeg.

I would have no problem with anyone else joining the list if they
satisfy those requirements.

Jason