[FFmpeg-devel] Preliminary announcement about the current situation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 20 19:20:27 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:47:27PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
[...]
> > > Having said all this, I don't want you to stop developing FFmpeg, but
> > > that's exactly what I want you to do again: write code. Not mpcodecs
> > > wrappers, but actual FFmpeg code. I think there's a lot of reasons why
> > > you're not the ideal BDFL, but you are a great programmer and I'd wish
> > > you did more of that.
> >
> > No doubt iam not the ideal BDFL, but noone in ffmpeg is the ideal BDFL. we
> > dont have linus here, not even fabrice is left.
>
> agree. but still you are the most close to linus from the ffmpeg people...
> i wonder who else know deeply the whole ffmpeg code ?

noone except fabrice maybe parts but alot has changed,
there are parts that i think only i have worked on. And they are the most
convoluted as well.
and IIRC last time i counted with git blame -M -C i was the author of about
30% of the whole code though i dont remember if that included swscale &postproc
iam sure the % is less now thanks to "cleanup" and git failing to assign the
authorship over that

/me who should read his inbox more than once every 24h ...

[...]
> > Theres quite alot that has happened in the last few days and ive not made up my
> > mind entirely what i will do, maybe ill continue to maintain ffmpeg at videolan
> > for a while, as long as users or developers want it or there are some who
> > offer little jobs on ffmpeg but in the end i will likely leave
>
> > Contributing to the new maintainers is no fun
>
> true
>
> what about forking ffmpeg, and working with me on some really revolutionary stuff? :)

we already have a fork on git at git.videolan.org:ffmpeg and every ffmpeg devloper
can get write access by sending janne grunau a public SSH key, that includes you
of course.
Iam also admin there so i could add your account too (though never done it so
janne is probably quicker)

Also if you need/want your own git repo for a ffmpeg fork the vlc people have
friendly offered it to any ffmpeg developer who can provide them with a reason
(which they will not question)

and ffmpeg at videolan contains libmpcodecs (filter) support already writen by me
in 2-3 days and stupidly discussed around afterwards for at least a week with
others

about revolutionary, it does sound like something worth considering

There seems to be only one solution to NIH syndrom, ... a shooting squad