[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New FFmpeg maintainership

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jan 22 18:12:08 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:02:51PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Stefano Sabatini
> <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> > On date Wednesday 2011-01-19 01:58:53 +0100, Diego Biurrun encoded:
> >> The discontent reached the point where a fork was being contemplated
> >> and then planned, but it turned out that the momentum had soared way
> >> past critical mass and turned into a tidal wave of revolution. ?The
> >> focus moved from forking to avoiding a fork if possible.
> >
> > But unfortunately it never passed from considering to ask to the
> > person/s which were considered the cause of the "problem" to change
> > for the last time, or to discuss this publically, giving a chance to
> > these persons to defend themselves, and eventually pose an ultimatum
> > and act in the case they failed.
>
> I've read this statement by various people in a variety of ways now. I
> want to make something very clear: this is not true. I won't spill all
> the details, but suffice to say that we felt that we tried enough and
> that another approach was needed to advance.

Ive heared the "I won't spill all the details" in various forms too.
No offense intended but are the details unstable in presence of public scrutiny?

We had near mutiny situations in the past and public discussions then led to
many of the reasons that where quoted to be found based on things that wherent
exactly true.
Given that history this kind of secrecy is really concerning me. It could
of course also be you have valid reasons to keep something not public, i
cannot know that without knowing what details you mean but at least iam not
consciously aware of what could justify this secrecy considering the harm this
move could do to the project (and what it already has done)

I also must say that the level of secrecy is really a bit against the very
idea of open source

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.