[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Hervé W. H.O.W.aka.V+ffmpeg
Fri Jan 28 00:20:09 CET 2011

On 27 January 2011 22:31, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> so you guys want michael to not be leader.
> and michael wants mans and diego to not be root if he is not leader.
>
> is that it basically? thats the entire list of demands on both sides ?
> doesnt seem so bad.

That's what I thought after reading these latest emails too. (Though
Michael did not mention Diego when he said "and i refuse to continue
to work under mans as root if iam not leader." )

Here are some ideas to maybe move forward:

People
------
Michael steps down as FFmpeg _leader_.
M?ns steps down as _root_.

Trees
-----
(I hate to bring it up, but ... ) The best compromise concerning
mpcodecs I've seen was put it on a branch and have some sort of
porting marathon. I think lu_zero suggested it.
Sync the two git trees on git.ffmpeg.org and git.videolan.org.

Procedure
---------
Some people seem to be upset that they can't commit (in the svn sense
of the word) to the git.ffmpeg repo even though they are (file)
maintainers. So that needs to be resolved. In the Announcement thread
it was stated more committers (svn definition) could be added later.
Would a solution be: grant file maintainers write access to the repos
again, but maintain the rule (from the Announcement) that all changes
must be reviewed by another developer who is deemed knowledgeable on
the topic. (Review on the ffmpeg-devel mailinglist, so that it's in
the mailinglist archive.)

Comments? Critiques? Any other issues that _need_ to be resolved
before FFmpeg can continue as one big ha^H^H^H^H^H^H ?

-V