[FFmpeg-devel] Greetings

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Fri Jul 15 15:36:24 CEST 2011

On date Friday 2011-07-15 12:44:06 +0200, Steven Truppe encoded:
[...]
> my problem was that my console window didn't showed me the complete
> output of the commands so i didn't recognized the "File formats"
> line.
>
> So the second entry in a line is the file extension i'm searching
> for ? because normaly a file extension is 3 characters long, but
> some entries (for example E asf_stream      ASF format) are a bit
> confusing to me - do these files realy have the extension
> .asf_stream ??

No the format is:
 DE name      description

D = decoding supported
E = encoding supported
name = unique name for the format
description = human readable description

The name has nothing to do with the extensions, also the extension
doesn't detect the format in a file reliably (you should probe for
that). But some formats are bound to some extensions, and this
information can be retrieved in the AVInputFormat/AVOutputFormat
public struct, so you could write a simple program for listing that
info.

(BTW this is a user-related question, so it is off-topic in this
development-only mailing list).
--
FFmpeg = Foolish and Fundamentalist Multipurpose Pure Ecletic Gospel