[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Axel Holzinger aholzinger at gmx.de
Fri Jun 24 21:03:52 CEST 2011

On Friday, June 24, 2011 7:47 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 07:12:17PM +0200, Axel Holzinger wrote:
> > Friday, June 24, 2011 6:38 PM, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > > On date Friday 2011-06-24 16:13:05 +0000, Peter Wimmer (Lists)
> > > encoded:

> Using cygwin to cross-compile makes it very smooth without any
> mess involved really.

Never tried it. Will have a look. Is there still the cygwin.dll needed
for run/usage of the stuff build under cygwin?

> > > As for me, I'm not against if someone is willing to do the work
> > > and maintain it.
> >
> > I tried to get it working with the Intel compiler for windows/msvc
> > (icl) which is C99 compliant.
> >
> > The problem is/was that the configure script doesn't support it,
> > because Intel was so smart to only support the MSVC compiler
switch
> > notation and not the icc (Linux) one.
> >
> > If the configure script would support creating the right
> > switches for icl (the ms ones, yes I know '/' instead of '-'
> > also), this  would be a major step.
>
> This really shouldn't be an issue, if you look at and copy the
> suncc_flags code in configure I think it shouldn't be more than
> 30 minutes to get the first working version (even if it is only
> with very basic flags).

I once tried, but I have to admit that bash scripting still isn't a
homeplay for me :-(

Do you know off-hand if using a different token '/' is already
supported? The last time I tried (nearly a year ago) I think it
wasn't.

> However since there is no free version of ICL we'd need someone
> with a proper license to maintain it.

As said before, if there is somebody willing to I will luckily donate
the needed licenses (win, msvc, icl) to ffmpeg. But I know that
maintaining is the much bigger job though.

All the best
Axel