[FFmpeg-devel] [patch] Fix a warning in fft_mmx.asm on mac

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Apr 17 11:24:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:58:22PM -0700, Nico Weber wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> The attached patch is a revised version of my patch that also contains
> a configure check that makes sure a recent enough yasm is used. See
> the patch description for details. I checked that yasm 0.7.99 fails
> this configure check, while 1.2.0.7 passes it.
>
> If you don't think this revised patch can be landed, please let me
> know what's missing.

I think if there are still users around using old versions that need
the workaround then the workaround should stay and no configure check
should be added. (such check adds maintaince burden and its for a case
that wont get tested so breakage is not unlikely)

OTOH if all users, all platforms and such are using new enough versions
then it just can be droped but

[...]
> Yasm was fixed in its r2161 and yasm 0.8.0 (Apr 2010) contained this fix.
> Nasm was fixed in 2.06 (Jun 2009):
> https://groups.google.com/group/alt.lang.asm/browse_thread/thread/fcc85bbc3745d893

Apr 2010 is not so long ago, i dont think this would have a zero effect
on our users. And i see nothing in your mail that would point to some
research that all users & platforms would be using a recent enough
version. But then this is huge work to do and the gain is fairly small

Also if you are concerned about warnings, there are many that can be
removed with less risk and troubble.

In fact, the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out
of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford
settlements. -- The RIAA