[FFmpeg-devel] FFV1.3

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue May 22 18:50:59 CEST 2012

On 05/22/2012 04:40 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> 2 pass mode should be used, also its probably interrestimg to try to
> generate the 2 pass statistics with one file and use them for another
> in the 2nd pass (this should work well, and we may use something like
> these statistics as default for 1 pass mode [...]
Oh, yes: I'm also looking forward to see how 2-pass mode performs
compression-wise.

Just so I understood you correctly:
Are you saying to generate pass-statistics for one file (e.g.
video_01.avi) and then use these statistics for *another* (?) file (e.g.
video_02.avi)?

>From how I understand multi-pass encoding, I was assuming that each
2nd-pass requires the statistics for exactly the file to be encoded, but
your message sounds like these stats could be re-used generally somehow?
If so: How does that work? These stats are generated from the content,
so I thought they are highly content-specific?

Thanks,
Pb