[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg wiki

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat May 26 02:59:46 CEST 2012

On Sat, 26 May 2012 02:00:31 +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>On date Friday 2012-05-25 16:18:32 +0200, Burek Pekaric encoded:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've created an example of FFmpeg wiki and copied some material from
>> the current documentation, written in .texi files (from git). The
>> purpose why I'm writing this message is to ask if there are people
>> interested in building up a wiki website for FFmpeg, which would (in
>> my personal opinion) make it easy for everyone to simply add/edit an
>> article, thus improving the documentation (just like wikipedia or
>> VLC's wiki). This way people won't need to learn about git/texinfo,
>> just in order to make some minor changes to the documentation and it
>> would be more user-friendly, I guess, which in turn would help
>> FFmpeg get more up-to-date docs.
>>
>> So, I've created a starting point and I'd just like to see if anyone
>> is interested in contributing (adding content from .texi files) or
>> should I just drop it completely. To be honest, I thought I'd just
>> copy/paste the html documentation and format it a little bit, but
>> there is really a lot of documentation that needs to be categorized
>> and organized, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that alone.
>> That's why I need to see if there is any interest for this thing or
>> should I just forget about it.
>
>We already have a wiki:
>http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki
>
>although it is still very incomplete and not much popular / renown.
>

>> The wiki showcase is located here (temporarily): http://ffwiki.gusari.org/
>> I've started to convert ffmpeg.html docs into a wiki article here:
>> http://ffwiki.gusari.org/index.php?title=FFmpeg_documentation
>
>Regarding docs -> wiki conversions, I'm not sure it is a good idea, in
>theory we should keep the official docs separated from the wiki,
>otherwise we'll have diverging versions and confused users.

true, but editing docs with texi formatting is really slow and painful.
ffmpeg has a history of not updating docs. of course, some devels arent
interested in wiki web-interfaces either. pros/cons to both.

i got tired of updating mplayer docs and just started dumping to wiki:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPlayer_FAQ

-compn