[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg s/0.12/1.0/

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:11:30 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 03:51:47PM -0600, Michael Bradshaw wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Hi comrades
> >
> > While theres no big change from 0.11 or previous releases, i think
> > FFmpeg deserves a version starting with a bigger digit than 0.
> > also it makes the version shorter
> >
> > So unless there are objections ill release 1.0 in a few hours or
> > tomorrow
>
> Out of curiosity, are there any libraries or aspects of FFmpeg that
> have any planned major changes/API breaks (without any kind of time
> frame)? For example (and purely for example), a good amount of work
> has been done lately on subtitles; is anyone saying "the API for
> dealing with subtitles needs to be redesigned and reworked?"

I think the most sensible change in the recent subtitles works is the
text-subrip thing in mkv. The rest was all about adding more demuxers,
decoders and options, and various fixes. We didn't change the API yet.
There are some work in progress for the next API to come in a not-so-far
future where we will indeed "break" things, but this doesn't affect 1.0
yet. And when it will comes in, it will be stated in doc/APIChanges as
usual anyway.

Clément B.