[FFmpeg-user] Can I use FFmpeg.exe command line in my proprietary software

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 8 02:22:01 CEST 2011

> Just please consider that this isn't truly helping
> the users and engineers on this code.

Well, it is intended to.

The fact that what I'm saying is unpopular does not make it untrue.

You could also consider the fact that nobody has answered the question -
because, I suspect, it is unanswerable.

If I build an embedded device with ffmpeg in it and rent or sell that
device to someone, how do I comply? Who, at what postal address, is the
legal representative of the ffmpeg project authorised to act on its behalf
in terms of license negotiations?

The answer to those two questions is, I suspect, "nobody knows", because
under the current rules nobody can possibly know.