[FFmpeg-user] cloud encoding

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Mon May 9 23:31:09 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Kosta Vlotis <kosta.brazzers at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> i'd like to have a server rack set up locally and have a script that
> >> sends tasks to my "cloud". this solution seems idea for my needs but
> >> for the amount of videos that we encode, paying someone for computer
> >> time and bandwidth might mean the cost will be too high.

Have you considered simply using an external service or writing your own
setup?  I've created ( and currently manage ) two video encoding platforms
that scale per the necessary requirements of my current encoding queue, but
it was a lot of work, etc.  I think you're looking for a silver bullet that
will magically turn a bunch of computers into an encoding farm for you with
little or no effort on your end, and you might as well just use
encoding.comor a similar service if that's the case.

Realistically though, if you end up going this alone, you might as well
follow the instructions of the earlier post by using a CRON script to invoke
the encoding job, and then simply manage your queue by sending files via NFS
to your various boxes, etc.

If you're beginning to think an external service is your best bet, send me
an email (not to the list) and I can make a suggestion or two.

Cheers,
David