[FFmpeg-user] mov [ProRes/pcm_s24le] -> mp4 same quality

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 17:52:38 CET 2011

On 18/11/11 16:11, HallMarc Websites wrote:
> http://www.audiocoding.com/faac.html
> [>] Took me 2 secs to find it

Oh, I think I may have misunderstood you. When in an earlier post you said:-

"AAC is not limited to -strict experimental because of any quality
issue. My experience has shown that AAC produced a much better quality
audio than libfaac. Even audiocoding.com states that currently AAC is
much better than libfaac!"

your reference to the "-strict experimental" flag of ffmpeg led me to
believe you were referring to its internal version of aac and claiming
that audiocoding.com were stating that *it* was better than theirs, not
that:-

"FAAC is not up to par with the currently *best* AAC encoders available"

In the interests of avoiding confusion, could you perhaps clarify which
AAC encoder you consider better than FAAC since the above quote is non
specific?

> I don't see the person I'm referring to in the list of ffmpeg developers....
> And he has posted a few responses that are incorrect. If this is one of your
> developers....

I claim no ownership, but I am grateful whenever someone takes the time
to try and respond to my query, which is often down to my own lack of
understanding, and which leads to the sorts of questions that those with
a much greater knowledge of the system than me must at times consider to
show a feeble grasp of its intricacies, and even if their answers miss
my point, they usually spark enough of an idea to let me work my way to
a solution which makes belittling them seem churlish.

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/