[FFmpeg-user] mov [ProRes/pcm_s24le] -> mp4 same quality

HallMarc Websites marc at hallmarcwebsites.com
Fri Nov 18 18:05:30 CET 2011

> On 18/11/11 16:11, HallMarc Websites wrote:
> > http://www.audiocoding.com/faac.html
> > [>] Took me 2 secs to find it
>
> Oh, I think I may have misunderstood you. When in an earlier post you
said:-

> "AAC is not limited to -strict experimental because of any quality issue.
My
> experience has shown that AAC produced a much better quality audio than
> libfaac. Even audiocoding.com states that currently AAC is much better
than
> libfaac!"
>
> your reference to the "-strict experimental" flag of ffmpeg led me to
believe
> you were referring to its internal version of aac and claiming that
> audiocoding.com were stating that *it* was better than theirs, not
> that:-
>
> "FAAC is not up to par with the currently *best* AAC encoders available"
>
> In the interests of avoiding confusion, could you perhaps clarify which
AAC
> encoder you consider better than FAAC since the above quote is non
> specific?
>

> > I don't see the person I'm referring to in the list of ffmpeg
developers....
> > And he has posted a few responses that are incorrect. If this is one
> > of your developers....
>
> I claim no ownership, but I am grateful whenever someone takes the time to
> try and respond to my query, which is often down to my own lack of
> understanding, and which leads to the sorts of questions that those with a
> much greater knowledge of the system than me must at times consider to
> show a feeble grasp of its intricacies, and even if their answers miss my
point,
> they usually spark enough of an idea to let me work my way to a solution
> which makes belittling them seem churlish.
>
> --
> Tim
[>]
Direct reference to my statement that using the AAC codec produced a much
better audio stream than using libfaac. I know, I know libfaac and faac are
not one in the same. Close enough though. I read that FAAC and libfaac are
only slightly different. I will test faac later.

When I mentioned that I needed to use -strict_experimental flag in order to
use AAC I was told that the reason is because AAC is a poorer quality codec
than libfaac even though my own ears heard the exact opposite.