[FFmpeg-user] Splicing/Trimming video

Joshua Grauman jnfo-c at grauman.com
Thu Feb 9 20:22:48 CET 2012

Hello all,

I have used the following command to take video straight from my Canon
camcorder and to cut off the front and back end of it and scale it down to
my desired resolution. This command works great. However, now I'd like to
'edit' the video by cutting out several portions from the *middle* of the
video. In other words, I'd like to remove a few seconds here or there from
the video by specifying the start and end times (or durations) I want to
cut out. There will probably be several little sections cut out from the
video. Any ideas on how to do this from the command-line? I'd prefer to
cut the sections out of the Final.mp4 file with a -new- ffmpeg command,
but if I need to go back and change my initial command that could work
too. Thanks!

cat 00012.MTS 00013.MTS 00014.MTS | /usr/local/ffmpeg/ffmpeg -threads 4 -i
- -ss 50 -t 2405 -vf scale=853:480,crop=640:480 -aspect 4:3 -r 30 -b 1200k
-ab 256k Final.mp4