[FFmpeg-user] Simultaneous two-pass?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Sep 27 13:50:54 CEST 2012

Jesse Gordon <tojesseg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> But that's OK because whenever a user uploads a video, it
> >> has to be converted into half a dozen different sizes and
> >> rates to accomodate viewers with different internet speeds,
> >> so I can just launch several instances in parallel.
> >
> > I suspect this should be (significantly?) faster if done
> > in one FFmpeg instance.
> >
> Well, I'm encoding to flv which does not support any threading, and I
> have 8 cores.
> So I can clearly get more work done faster by running several ffmpeg
> instances at the same time.

What I meant is that you can the save 6% that decoding costs for
every of your instances by encoding to all needed resolutions
at the same time.

(It will of course not be significantly faster if your input
file is so "cheap" to decode but there may be other source files.)

Please leave an empty line between your quotes and your replies
(and between the "old" quotes), that makes reading your mails
much easier.

Carl Eugen