[FFmpeg-user] Simultaneous two-pass?

Jesse Gordon tojesseg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:12:21 CEST 2012

On 09/27/2012 04:50 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>>> I suspect this should be (significantly?) faster if done
>>> in one FFmpeg instance.
>>>
>> Well, I'm encoding to flv which does not support any threading, and I
>> have 8 cores.
>> So I can clearly get more work done faster by running several ffmpeg
>> instances at the same time.
> What I meant is that you can the save 6% that decoding costs for
> every of your instances by encoding to all needed resolutions
> at the same time.

Carl,

Than you very much for the reply. It looks like the decoding part is
using 60% of one CPU - so it would be good if there was a way I could
decode only once and then re-encode to all the needed resolutions from that.

But how would I do that? Decode first to a raw format on a ramdrive,
then re-encode from there? Or can one instance of ffmpeg write multiple
streams encoded at different rates?

> (It will of course not be significantly faster if your input
> file is so "cheap" to decode but there may be other source files.)
>
> Please leave an empty line between your quotes and your replies
> (and between the "old" quotes), that makes reading your mails
> much easier.

Thank you for the empty-line tip - it does help a lot!

Thanks very much,

~Jesse Gordon