[FFmpeg-user] x264 stream decoding question

ali alirazeen at alirazeen.com
Fri Aug 16 22:32:28 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

I am using ffmpeg to decode a live x264 stream. This stream consists of only
I and P frames and does not contain any B frames. I'm noticing a weird
requirement in the decoding.

It seems like the ffmpeg decoder only completes decoding a current frame X
if it has also received X+1. The very first frame in the stream is an
I-frame. However, that I-frame is not fully decoded until the next frame,
the first P frame in the GOP, is received. Is this behaviour expected? Isn't
an I-frame independent of other frames? Why should the next P frame be
required before the current I-frame is shown?

Has anyone else observed anything similar? Is there also a way to change the
behaviour of the decoder?

I am aware that I am not providing a lot of information on this post
regarding my current setup but that is because I am not aware what
information is required to answer this post. Please let me know if I should
provide any additional details.

Thanks!

Best,
Ali