[FFmpeg-user] Problems with Select Filter

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 17 15:51:58 CEST 2013

I captured a video file in raw format ('mplayer -identify' says the format is:
[rawuyvy] vfm: raw (RAW UYVY)).  Then I did some cut edits with ffmpeg using
the 'Select' video filter, and at the same time set the output codec to
ffvhuff.  The problem is that those cut edits were not at the exact frames I
specified with the 'Select' video filter.  When I play the video, the cuts
happen at the wrong places (mostly towards the end of the file).

I'm trying to figure out why this occurs.  When I try to play the edited file
with mplayer, it displays these complaints:
    AVI: ODML: Building ODML index (2 superindexchunks).
    AVI: ODML: Broken (incomplete?) file detected. Will use traditional index.
    AVI: Generated index table for 10983 chunks!
Does that help identify the problem?

However, if I first compress the raw video file with ffvhuff codec, save that
to an intermediate file, and then apply the same exact edits with the Select
filter to the ffvhuff-compressed file, then the file is edited correctly, and
I don't see the above ODML error message.

I want to figure this problem out so I don't inadvertantly reproduce it,
but not notice the incorrect edits until long after the source material
is deleted.  What is the problem?