[FFmpeg-user] Quicktime IMX encode failing on v2.1

Steve steve at aatw.com
Sat Dec 7 01:30:12 CET 2013

Your changes work in that ffmpeg now runs without error and creates an m2v file but does not solve the problem the mux stage does not create an IMX file. Media info included as it shows the file codec is listed different to previous whereas ffprobe does not

I can see the problem elsewhere as FCP refuses to open the new encode, says it's an invalid file, QuickTime opens but won't play back, QuickTime inspector shows codec is not right and vlc likewise - the final output file has codec id of m2v1 not mx5p as before.

I think the mpeg2 encode works ok (but no direct way of checking) but the wrapping into the IMX mov fails to set the codec correctly. Old version makes no mention of m2v1. The new version also encodes at 50004 kbps, not 50000 Kbps though unsure as to why. Is this an issue that would stop the imxdump working?

New:    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: mpeg2video (4:2:2) (m2v1 / 0x3176326D), yuv422p(tv), 720x608 [SAR 152:135 DAR 4:3], 50004 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1200k tbn, 50 tbc

Old:    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: mpeg2video (4:2:2), yuv422p, 720x608 [PAR 152:135 DAR 4:3], 50000 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 50 tbc