[FFmpeg-user] j2k encoder/decoder status

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Jul 18 14:17:14 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Robert Krüger <krueger <at> lesspain.de> writes:
>
>> > Why do think there is a "plan"?
>>
>> There does not have to be one but sometimes a developer
>> starts a unit of work - paid or not - and thinks things
>> like "I want to work on module X now until it does Y
>> and it will probably take me a week or two".
>
> I don't remember that this was ever the case on
> ffmpeg-devel (if I understand you correctly).
> Or actually, I do remember occurrences, but they
> never lead to a patch being sent;-(

No, that's why I wrote "thinks" not "posts". That is how I work on my
software projects and I had off-list communication with ffmpeg devs
who seem to do the same from time to time, no matter how well these
plans work out (I rarely keep the deadlines I set myself).

> [...]
>
>> > This is apparently also the reason why you
>> > misunderstood this mail (that was not meant
>> > nonconstructive at all):
>> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/45798/focus=45826
>>
>> Actually not, although this type of answer is probably
>> perceived as a provocation by some people because it
>> might be interpreted to have a "code something or piss
>> off, you leach!" connotation
>
> Did you consider that the thread may also be interpreted
> exactly the other way 'round?
> (Apparently it is neither how you nor I meant it.)

Yes I did and do consider this a possibility. That's why I am not
saying "you meant it that way" but rather how the tone is perceived in
some cases. Sometimes this is a cultural thing (like me having been
perceived rude by americans I have done business with in the past for
being too direct) but especially in Austria my experience is rather
the opposite (like Christoph Waltz put it in the Conan interview
"first, they are very polite and second, they don't mean it" ;-)).

Cheers,

Robert