[FFmpeg-user] ntsc-dvd doesn't default to interlaced.

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Sun Jul 28 10:50:26 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 02:05:39AM -0400, Andy Civil wrote:
> On 2013-07-28 1:28 AM, Mike Brown wrote:
>
> I inferred it from the Wikipedia page on NTSC
> "By convention an NTSC video frame is considered to start with an even
> field followed by an odd field."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480i

The DVD player will take the MPEG-2 video and output it as correct NTSC
analog.

>> As far as being normal as possible... the person who plays the DVD could
>> care less which field is first, as long as it plays correctly on the analog
>> TV.  If played on a computer, or any other display, it isn't going to make
>> a difference.
>
> I guess you mean "couldn't care less"?

I believe that the "not" should not be there.  I've heard it both ways.
Not sure which is actuall correct.  To me it seems to be a double negative.

> You may be right, but this video is actually going to be played on
> Grandma's LCD television in Britain (A PAL country). I have observed that
> NTSC DVDs I make work correctly in her DVD player, but I don't know exactly
> how. Therefore, I don't dare mess with the NTSC standard, in case the
> equipment assumes anything. I could make a DVD which is essentially NTSC
> but TFF and it could work on my computer, but her DVD player might ignore
> the TFF flag and assume it's BFF with disasterous results.

That is because pretty much every U.K. (and I believe all of Europe) DVD
player will handle 480i as well as 576i video.  Been standard for ages.
The MPEG-2 chipset does the conversion.  I have a JVC DVD player that will
handle both as well and output as NTSC or PAL, plus it is region neutered.
I seriously doubt that she will have trouble.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com | vidiot at vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
        6082066843 at email.uscc.net (140 char limit)       \ / Ribbon Campaign