[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Tue Apr 22 22:49:09 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-22 15:34, James Darnley wrote:
> On 2014-04-21 22:18, miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr wrote:
>> snip
>
> If you are looking for language tips, here you go:
>
> User fewer nested brackets.  A sentence should still make sense after
> you eliminate/delete each bracketed section.  The example I created
> here
> is limited and repetitive but should show you what I mean
>
>> If you need to explain something (that's fine (but if you need to
>> explain that, consider rewriting), do it), that's fine.
>> If you need to explain something (that's fine, do it), that's fine.
>> If you need to explain something, that's fine.
>
> See?
>
> Use fewer commas.  Your second paragraph is one entire sentence with
> so
> many commas separating various things that make it very hard to keep
> track of your point.
>
> I don't want dissuade you from using English if it isn't your native
> language.  You seem to speak it fairly well.  I am no English
> professor
> either.  This is just to help you be more clear about your point.
>
> Carl did give you a couple of links which may help clear up the
> situation.  I will just add this.
>
> FFmpeg (two upper-case 'F') is the name of the project/group here at
> ffmpeg.org.  You can communicate with it/us at this mailing list.  It
> provides these programs: ffmpeg, ffplay, ffserver, ffprobe.  It also
> provides these libraries (among others): libavcodec, libavformat.
> These
> libraries are often referred to with some on these shorthands: libav,
> libav*, lavc, lavf.
>
> Libav (with the upper-case 'L') is the name of that other
> project/group
> over at libav.org.  It provides the programs: avconv, avprobe.  It too
> provides some libraries: libavcodec, libavformat.
>
> Overall it is pretty confusing for those on the "outside".

You are right, James.
And thank you for more explanation.
But it traspires that I understand most of what you say.
I just wouldn't be able to enumerate the libraries and programs so
well, and if anybody read my post in which I invested so much, it should
be clear for him from what I wrote there that I do understand the basic
difference btwn the two now incompatible projects that can't really be
installed on a system together, because they basically do the same
things, and one don't coexist with the other.

I suppose, James, that you are one of the FFmpeg team (you can see in
the completed edition that I gave link to some half day later that I
used "FFmpeg").

But. I don't get it. Does no one really care that this other project is
using "ffmpeg" in such confusing way and then gets a lot of users that
otherwise would be using FFmpeg?

And did anybody notice they multiplied the links to the topic, and you
know it took me a while to first understand it (it's just e.g.
symlinking, nothing else, but why?) and then to get over the frustration
about it...

It is now at least four links, that open the same page... the:
"Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg" page.

So no one cares that the Libav team (so not libav, but Libav, capital
"L", the only difference, *!@#$&&!!), is taking away your users?

Cheers,
Miroslav Rovis,
Zagreb, Croatia