[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Apr 23 14:56:41 CEST 2014

 <miro.rovis <at> croatiafidelis.hr> writes:

> I do understand the basic
> difference btwn the two now incompatible projects

Could you elaborate?
To the best of my knowledge, FFmpeg is a superset of
avconv, so there should be no incompatibilities.

> that can't really be installed on a system together,
> because they basically do the same  things, and one
> don't coexist with the other.

Since that is done (or can be done) on Debian now, I
(very much so) hope that you are not right;-)

> But. I don't get it. Does no one really care that
> this other project is using "ffmpeg" in such
> confusing way and then gets a lot of users that
> otherwise would be using FFmpeg?

I really don't understand:
Everybody here does care about it and many people do
as much as they can about it - what do you think we
should do (additionally)?