[FFmpeg-user] libass reference broken

Elliott Balsley elliottbalsley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 01:29:13 CET 2014

On Mar 3, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Elliott Balsley <elliottbalsley <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libass.4.dylib
>>  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
>>  Reason: image not found
>> Trace/BPT trap: 5
>> I don’t have that dynamic library, but I do have
>> /opt/local/lib/libass.5.dylib, and a symlink pointing
>> to that called libass.dylib.  I think this broke after
>> upgrading MacPorts packages.
>
> That means that MacPorts is broken or it - by definition
> - does not cover additional self-compiled packages (like
> FFmpeg in this case). Whenever a MacPorts update removes
> existing dynamic libraries (in this case libass.4.dylib)
> this can happen if you ever compile additional binaries
> yourself.
>
> There is nothing in FFmpeg that can be fixed about this.
>
> Carl Eugen

I don’t understand what you mean.  MacPorts removed libass.4.dylib, added libass.5.dylib, and updated libass.dylib symlink to point to the new one.  What’s wrong with that?
I got ffmpeg to work again by reinstalling (configure, make, make install), and I suppose it detected the new library at that time.