[FFmpeg-user] libass reference broken

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Mar 4 01:41:50 CET 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 16:29:13 -0800, Elliott Balsley wrote:

> I don’t understand what you mean.  MacPorts removed libass.4.dylib,
> added libass.5.dylib, and updated libass.dylib symlink to point to
> the new one. What’s wrong with that? I got ffmpeg to work again by
> reinstalling (configure, make, make install), and I suppose it
> detected the new library at that time.

If the versioning changes, this usually means an ABI incompatibility.
(Though it is up to the developer or packager to detect or define
that.) The symlink is only for compile/link time, not runtime. The
versioned file is meant for runtime, and has versioning for a good
reason.

There may be exceptions to this rule, and furthermore, I'm judging from
a Linux point of view, but this should be valid on all Unix type
systems.

Moritz