[FFmpeg-user] Building FFMPEG and enabling x265

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 13:54:02 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
> Le sextidi 26 germinal, an CCXXIII, Werner Robitza a écrit :
>> What's not correct?
>
> Your installation of x265.

In what way, then? How else should I install it?

>> Of course I know that it does not include x265. Hence my comment: "for
>> ffmpeg users we should probably update our compilation guide."
>
> Please do.

If I knew how to install it I would have edited the wiki already.

And again, irrespective of what you think a "guide" should be, people
are gonna copy-paste stuff from it without understanding. You can't
educate everyone. And instead of berating me about it, we could just
improve the documentation.

I should add that when installing x265 with "sudo make install", then
configuring ffmpeg by just adding "--enable-libx265", I get "ffmpeg:
error while loading shared libraries: libx265.so.56: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory"

So instead of arguing about it, I'd be happy if somebody could just
provide the steps for x265 installation so that it works nicely with
what's already there, so I can update the Wiki.