[FFmpeg-user] Building FFMPEG and enabling x265

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Apr 15 14:29:00 CEST 2015

Le sextidi 26 germinal, an CCXXIII, Werner Robitza a écrit :
> In what way, then? How else should I install it?

~ $ pkg-config --modversion x265
1.5

~ $ pkg-config --modversion x265
Package x265 was not found in the pkg-config search path.

If you get the second one, x265 is not correctly installed and this is not a
FFmpeg problem.

> I should add that when installing x265 with "sudo make install", then
> configuring ffmpeg by just adding "--enable-libx265", I get "ffmpeg:
> error while loading shared libraries: libx265.so.56: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory"

I was expecting that. The fun part is that it has nothing to do with
pkg-config.

> So instead of arguing about it, I'd be happy if somebody could just
> provide the steps for x265 installation so that it works nicely with
> what's already there, so I can update the Wiki.

Installing software from sources requires skills and knowledge of the
system. FFmpeg is far from being the most complex piece of software to
compile, but with external libraries enabled it is not the simplest either.

There are probably very good guides on modern system administration,
including compiling applications from sources (unfortunately, I can not
recommend any in particular because a lot has changed since the time I
learned), and clearly you need to start from the basics.

A basic criterion: if it does not have "ldconfig" in it, throw it away.

Or just download pre-build binaries.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George