[FFmpeg-user] streaming only audio from YouTube

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Apr 29 10:45:34 CEST 2015

Hi Kath,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 05:02:03 +0100, kath g wrote:
> Can we stream and save audio from YouTube using ffmpeg. The audio is about 10 hrs long. I use manjaro with ffmpeg.

Is it really a stream or a static video?

Static videos - and often even audio only - can be downloaded with the
tool youtube-dl: http://yt-dl.org/
With its "-F" option, you can figure out the formats (some are
audio-only). With "-f <format>" or "-f bestaudio", you can tell
youtube-dl to grab you that audio. Or you can query the URL by adding
"-g", and pass the given URL to ffmpeg.

ffmpeg can also be built with libquvi support, where ffmpeg would
directly understand a YouTube URL. I don't know whether that works
anymore though.
(If you don't build ffmpeg youself, you can figure out libquvi support
by running:
$ ffmpeg -formats | grep quvi
and checking for this line:
 D  libquvi         libquvi demuxer