[FFmpeg-user] streaming only audio from YouTube

DopeLabs dopelabs at dubstep.fm
Wed Apr 29 11:35:05 CEST 2015

installing youtube-dl is a snap on most *nix

$ sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

or

$ pip install youtube-dl

once installed if you can use  back ticks in the ffmpeg command as such:

$ ffmpeg -re -i "`youtube-dl -f bestaudio -g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=holhZM1OpTc`" -c:a mp3 -b:a 256k audio_only.mp3

you will need ffmpeg built with openssl enabled to access https://