[FFmpeg-user] concat images to h.264 movie not working

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Dec 7 10:29:17 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 22:42:41 -0800, Roger Allen wrote:
> Trying to do the same thing on a PC with the most recent build
> (ffmpeg-20151205-git-a16243a-win64-static) results in "DTS" errors and a
> file that has just a couple frames in it.  A large number of images
> produces a massive stream of errors.
[...]
> I saw https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4765 and the related discussion
> http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/DTS-Out-of-Order-DTS-amp-PTS-Invalid-Dropping-td4667944.html
> and it seems related to what I'm seeing.  It sounds as if the simple case
> of creating a movie just from images has regressed.

Why don't *you* show us *your* exact command's output? That is much
more helpful than just having liks to two other cases which seem
"related".

> printf "file '%s'\n" ./*.png > test_ffmpeg.list
> ffmpeg \
> -f concat -i test_ffmpeg.list \
> -r 30 -pix_fmt yuv420p \
> -c:v libx264 -preset slow \
> Muybridge_race_horse_animated.mp4

I have no explanation for the DTS errors, but I can make your command
work. :-)

You're doing one thing quite wrong: You are creating a concat stream
which defaults to 25 fps, and then converting it to an output of 30
fps.

If I switch your "-r" option to become an input option, I still get the
DTS warnings, but an output video which seems totally sane (15 frames,
30 fps, 0.5 s length). This is probably what you intended to do.

> Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Both, perhaps.

Moritz