[FFmpeg-user] Specifying Video Stream with V instead of v

Josh Marell macman104 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:58:16 CET 2015

On Monday, November 9, 2015, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

> I think the point Josh was trying to make is what is documented as
> such, regarding "last matching c option":
>
>     For each stream, the last matching c option is applied, so
>       ffmpeg -i INPUT -map 0 -c copy -c:v:1 libx264 -c:a:137 libvorbis
> OUTPUT
>     will copy all the streams except the second video, which will be
>     encoded with libx264, and the 138th audio, which will be encoded
>     with libvorbis.
>
> He was using:
>
> $ ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -map 0 -c copy -c:V libx265 265_filename.mkv
>
> and according to the quoted documentation:
>     'V' only matches video streams which are not attached pictures,
>     video thumbnails or cover arts.
>
> this would result in all streams being copied, with exception of the
> actual non-still-image video stream. At least that's what could be
> expected from the docs. The last "-c:V" option should only match the
> non-still-image.

This is precisely my issue. And I didn't know enough about ffmpeg to know
if this is some bug or if I am misunderstanding the usage. If it is a bug,
I am not entirely sure how to go about getting it reported or confirmed. If
I am using this implementation wrong (it does indeed function properly for
ffprobe), I'd love to know how to fix it :)

I figured out the top posting, hopefully this response is more in line with
the response guidelines. Thanks for pointing that out to me.