[FFmpeg-user] Live stream out of sync & choppy video

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Apr 14 15:24:03 CEST 2016

Mitja Pirih <mitja <at> alternet.si> writes:

> I am grabbing a live mpeg2 multicast stream from my provider and
> creating a HLS x264 with AAC from it. Everything works great at least
> for some time, after a certain period of time (i can't define the time
> parameter it is random) it happens for audio and video to go out of sync
> usually in 48 hours. Audio looks to work as expected without anomalies,
> video gets choppy and out of sync with audio. Some video frames get
> skipped as the video for a couple of seconds gets on fast forward, then
> it stops and then plays again, but still out of sync. I suspect it
> starts when anomalies on the source start. When I restart the stream it
> just works.
>
> Any ideas? Should I provide you with a full ffmpeg output
> or maybe you just know how to get rid of a problem?

The FFmpeg command and the console output are always useful
(and while unlikely it is not impossible that somebody
knows what's going wrong) but I fear that you have to record
the whole input (!) stream to allow us to reproduce.

> I do have a video chunk if you need to check it out.

Output files are very often useless but if you already
have one...

Carl Eugen